I’ll be honest; I was living under a culinary rock and had never heard of Roy Choi before stumbling upon his MasterClass. As someone who typically dives into heavyweight masterclass courses on filmmaking (my major), I was aimlessly browsing through MasterClass offerings, looking for something entirely new. Then, the course title caught my eye: Intuitive Cooking.
For those of us who are more inclined to appreciate a well-cooked meal than to cook one (especially when lazy and perpetually broke), the idea of mastering the culinary craft in a way that goes beyond recipes and ingredients can be pretty captivating. That’s the allure of Roy Choi’s MasterClass on Intuitive Cooking. This review intends to share the insights from this culinary journey, delving into the course’s content and evaluating its strengths and the value it holds for anyone with a deep love of food and culture.
Table of Contents
Roy Choi – A culinary rebel
Over the last few decades, the culinary landscape has undergone a fascinating transformation, where traditional flavors harmonize with contemporary creativity. Trailblazers like Roy Choi have spearheaded this gastronomic revolution, pushing the boundaries of our understanding of food and its connection to culture.
Roy Choi isn’t your run-of-the-mill chef; he’s a culinary maverick who reimagines our relationship with food. From the revolutionary Kogi BBQ food truck that unveiled the world to Korean-Mexican fusion to his highly acclaimed restaurants and TV appearances, Choi’s impact on the culinary scene is nothing short of awe-inspiring. His work embodies a fusion of diverse flavors, cultural influences, and an unwavering commitment to community. Whether he’s crafting irresistible dishes or using food as a canvas for cultural expression, Roy Choi’s culinary journey is, without a doubt, a remarkable one.
Who is this course for?
Roy Choi’s MasterClass is a culinary treasure that caters to a diverse audience, making it an ideal fit for a variety of individuals:
- Aspiring chefs: If you’re looking to hone your culinary skills and dive deep into the art of cooking, Roy Choi’s course provides valuable insights and techniques.
- Food enthusiasts: For those with a genuine passion for cooking, this MasterClass offers an opportunity to elevate your skills and expand your culinary horizons.
- Cultural explorers: If you’re intrigued by the intricate connections between food, culture, and community, this course delves into these intersections, offering a rich understanding.
- Creative cooks: Are you eager to break away from the constraints of traditional recipes and embrace culinary experimentation? Roy Choi’s approach encourages creative freedom in the kitchen.
- Storytellers through food: For those who view cooking as a form of cultural storytelling and a means of building communities, this course provides a unique perspective on how food can be a powerful narrative tool.
- Casual cooks who never follow recipes: Even if you rarely, if ever, follow a recipe to the letter, Roy Choi’s intuitive cooking style can help you discover a more spontaneous and enjoyable way to create delicious dishes.
However, this course might not be the right fit for:
- Individuals with dietary restrictions: Roy Choi’s style is all about bold flavors and creative combinations of spices, which may not always align with specific dietary needs.
- People who prefer traditional cooking: If you’re content with classic recipes and methods, this course might be too unconventional for your taste.
Roy Choi’s MasterClass is a flavorful journey through 21 lessons, with a total duration of 4 hours and 22 minutes. Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll explore:
- Meet Your Instructor: Step into the world of renowned chef Roy Choi, a pioneer of the food truck revolution.
- Roy’s Pantry Staples: Join Roy as he shares his go-to ingredients that reflect a fusion of Korean, Latin, and Asian flavors, creating what he deems the ultimate American pantry.
- The Equipment You Don’t Need: Simplify your kitchen with Roy’s “philosophy of one,” streamlining your essential equipment.
- Mother Sauce: Kalbi Marinade: Learn the art of crafting Roy’s versatile kalbi marinade and discover the concept of “mother sauces” that form the basis of various recipes, enhancing your flavor arsenal.
- Mother Sauce: Kogi Vinaigrette: Uncover the secrets behind Roy’s famous Kogi vinaigrette, a flavor-packed dressing.
- Mother Sauce: Scallion Dipping Sauce: Dive into Roy’s recipe for a sauce that pairs well with practically anything, adding a burst of flavor.
- Mother Sauce: Salsa Verde: Join Roy in adding some heat to your culinary repertoire as he walks you through making his fiery salsa verde.
- Kogi Taco Part I: BBQ Kalbi and Veggies: Roy begins unraveling the secrets of his iconic Kogi taco. In this first part, learn how to marinate and grill kalbi beef and vegetables.
- Kogi Taco Part II: Slaw, Toppings, and Assembly: In the second installment of the Kogi taco recipe, Roy demonstrates how to create Kogi slaw and assemble the taco that changed the game.
- Napa Cabbage Kimchi: Get ready to embrace the messiness of making kimchi. Roy guides you through blending kimchi paste and preparing Napa cabbage kimchi.
- Kimchi Fried Rice: Discover Roy’s twist on the perfect fried rice, putting kimchi at the forefront of this delectable dish.
- Kimchi Tuna Melt: Explore the fusion of Korean flavors and classic diner food with Roy’s simple yet delicious steps.
- Savory Mung Bean Potato Pancake: Learn the art of making a mouthwatering savory pancake, ideal for dipping in Roy’s scallion dipping sauce.
- 3 P.M. Dumplings: Beef-Pork and Veggie: Roy shares his techniques for crafting and cooking both beef-pork and vegetarian dumplings.
- Large-Format Carnitas with Pork Fat Cilantro Rice: Try your hand at Roy’s mouthwatering large-format carnitas recipe, slow-cooked to perfection.
- Bonus: Carnitas and Pork Fat Cilantro Rice Burrito: Join Roy in the world of burrito-rolling as he repurposes the pulled pork and cilantro rice from the previous recipe.
- Whole Grilled Fish with Ponzu Sauce: Master the art of deboning and grilling fish as Roy imparts his expertise, and discovers creative uses for fish eyes.
- Panchan: Asian Pear and Watermelon Kimchis: Explore Roy’s innovative approach to “kimchi” as a verb and learn how to kimchi unexpected ingredients, including fruits.
- Panchan: Blanched Vegetables: Discover the art of blanching and shocking vegetables, a key technique for panchan dishes that set the tone for a meal.
- Panchan: Quick-Pickled Cucumbers: Roy shares his stovetop quick-pickling recipe, allowing you to mimic the flavor of pickled cucumbers with ease.
- Rice Bowls: After a night of indulgence, Roy guides you in creating no-waste recipes that combine leftover ingredients intuitively, making the most of your culinary adventures.
And also, please expect a lot of cursing.
Pros and cons of Roy Choi's MasterClass
- Expert guidance: Roy Choi’s expertise shines through the course, providing invaluable insights and culinary wisdom.
- Cultural fusion: The course goes beyond cooking techniques, emphasizing the fusion of cultures and flavors.
- Well-structured curriculum: The course is thoughtfully organized, making it easy for students to follow and grasp complex culinary concepts. The study guide is super helpful too.
- Inspirational and engaging: Roy Choi’s passion for food and culture is contagious, inspiring students to embrace culinary experimentation and community-building. The way he randomly splashes in his philosophy of cooking (and of life) in an unbothered tone makes it humorous and entertaining. Besides, the pace and editing are both engaging and entertaining to watch, which makes the culinary knowledge I once thought was complex seem approachable.
- Comprehensive practical content: The course covers a wide range of topics, and fully exploring all aspects may require time and dedication. Besides, just like any other culinary course, it requires personal practice and experiments, which may take a lot of time and effort. It personally takes me 3 weeks to actually finish the course, as I’m busy yet want to test out as many recipes as possible, in which process it also takes me time to find all the ingredients.
Roy Choi’s MasterClass has been an enlightening journey that elevates cooking to an art form and a cultural experience. The course has provided me with fresh perspectives on food, culture, and community, and it has expanded my culinary horizons.
One of the most significant takeaways I have, as a food enthusiast who never finds the motivation to cook, has been the realization that food is more than just sustenance; it’s a powerful medium for storytelling, connecting with diverse cultures, and fostering a sense of community. And most importantly of all, it can be fun and stress-free. Roy Choi’s emphasis on authenticity, creativity, and embracing the culinary melting pot has sparked a new level of creativity in my own cooking endeavors.
The fusion of different culinary traditions and the art of combining flavors in unexpected ways have transformed the way I approach cooking. Roy Choi’s guidance on knife skills, cooking techniques, and presentation has elevated the visual and sensory appeal of my dishes. While the course may be an investment, the inspiration and knowledge it provides are truly invaluable. It’s not just about cooking; it’s about crafting a culinary identity and making a positive impact through food.
Roy Choi’s Kalbi Marinade is an absolute game-changer for any BBQ lover! 🍖 I recently whipped up a BBQ gathering with my buddies, and let me tell you, this stuff is straight-up magic. The blend of sweet, savory, and just a hint of tangy in this marinade is like a flavor explosion in your mouth. The meat was crazy tender and packed with so much flavor (as my friends put it); it was gone in no time! I’m actually vegetarian, and the sauce went well with my veggies, mushrooms and tofu, too! We were so eager to dive into those grill-tastic bites that we completely forgot to snap those drool-worthy pics for the ‘gram. Roy Choi turned me into the BBQ king of the neighborhood with this marinade. It’s a must-try! 💯🔥 I will definitely try out the other 3 mother sauces he introduced in the course!
How much does the MasterClass cost?
Annual plans are typically available at $120 a year (or $10 per month) for the Individual plan, providing access to MasterClass courses on one device, $180 a year for the Duo plan (two devices), and $240 a year for the Family plan (six devices).
A MasterClass subscription gives you unlimited access to a catalog of 180+ classes, so if you want to take multiple classes throughout the year, the subscription is definitely worth it, and there are pleny of interesting courses on related topics to explore.
Also, the platform offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so if you’re not happy with your learning experience, you can request a full refund.
Note that if you have a friend or family member who you think would be interested, MasterClass is currently running a Black Friday special offer where you get to gift an annual membership for free to someone if you buy a membership for yourself. Or you could team up so you both effectively get 50% off your membership.
Conclusion – Is it worth it?
So, is Roy Choi’s MasterClass on Intuitive Cooking worth your while? Well, that’s a decision only you can make. As someone who has a profound passion for food but often finds herself lacking the motivation to cook, this course has been a game-changer. It’s not just about learning to cook; it’s a flavorful journey into the heart of culinary creativity, culture, and community. I didn’t anticipate that this course would significantly enhance my grasp of storytelling, a valuable addition to my ongoing filmmaking journey.
As you delve into 21 lessons that span over 4 hours, you’ll explore the magic of Roy’s pantry staples, the art of crafting “mother sauces,” the secrets behind his iconic dishes like Kogi tacos, and the joy of making kimchi from scratch. Roy’s guidance transforms cooking into an art form, and his unbothered yet humorous philosophy adds a touch of entertainment to the mix.
Of course, there are some considerations, such as the cost of an annual MasterClass subscription and the dedication required to fully immerse yourself in the course. It took me a few weeks to absorb it all, but the investment is undeniably worthwhile.
In the end, Roy Choi’s MasterClass is a treasure trove of culinary wisdom and cultural insights. It’s a ticket to unleash your culinary creativity and make a positive impact through food. Whether you’re an avid chef, a casual cook, or anything in between, this course will leave you inspired and ready to embark on your culinary adventure. So well, bon appetít!