The path to success on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is tedious, requiring meticulous preparation, commitment, and access to the appropriate tools. Choosing the correct GMAT test prep course can make all the difference between getting a spectacular score and a mediocre one that won’t help impress any admissions officers.
Target Test Prep is one name that has gained prominence in the area of GMAT exam preparation over the past decade. Even though they offer tools for other tests, their GMAT Course, a web-based self-study platform designed to provide aspiring business school candidates with the skills and information needed to excel on the GMAT, is at the center of their offerings.
In this comprehensive review, we will look into the details of Target Test Prep. We look at its unique features, pros and cons, and present useful information to help you decide if it is a good fit for your GMAT preparations. Whether you are a first-time test taker or want to enhance your current score, join us as to explore the subject matter of Target Test Prep and see how it can help you succeed on the GMAT.
Overview of Target Test Prep's GMAT course
Target Test Prep specializes in GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) preparation. The platform provides a variety of study resources and techniques to help students achieve good GMAT scores. The platform takes a digital-first approach, with a sleek and easy-to-use interface.
The curriculum is organized into 47 “missions,” each of which covers a different GMAT topic. These missions include components such as fast review quizzes, lecture chapters, chapter tests, and error analysis. It combines written course material with over 1,400 short video lessons that break down sample issues. Thousands of practice problems are also included.
The platform’s detailed performance metrics and statistics is a standout feature. Students can gain detailed insights about their performance, such as behavioral trends, error analysis, and pace issues, among other things. To assist students in staying on track, the platform’s tailored study plan modifies based on individual performance.
Overall, Target Test Prep is positioned as a cost-effective option for GMAT preparation, making it accessible to a wide range of students. Its strengths lie in its comprehensive content, performance analytics, and data-driven strategies, making it a valuable resource for those pursuing success in the GMAT exam.
What is GMAT?
Before diving in depth review of this platform, let’s just have a brief look at the GMAT to make sure we’re all on the same page. The GMAT, or Graduate Management Admission Test, is a standardized test specifically designed to assess the skills and abilities of individuals who aspire to pursue graduate-level management and business programs, such as MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs. It is administered by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC).
The primary purpose of the GMAT is to provide business schools and management programs with a common metric for evaluating the qualifications of applicants. It helps these institutions assess a candidate’s readiness for graduate-level business education. The GMAT compromises of four areas:
- Quantitative Reasoning: This encompasses topics related to mathematics, including algebra, geometry, statistics, and data analysis. It assesses a test-taker’s ability to solve quantitative problems.
- Verbal Reasoning: The verbal section includes topics such as reading comprehension, critical reasoning, and sentence correction. It evaluates reading and language skills, as well as the ability to analyze and draw conclusions from written material.
- Integrated Reasoning: Integrated reasoning questions involve the interpretation and synthesis of data from multiple sources, often presented in the form of tables, graphs, and written passages. Test-takers must analyze information and solve problems using this data.
- Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA): While not explicitly mentioned in the information provided, the AWA section evaluates a test-taker’s ability to analyze an argument and express their ideas in a coherent and persuasive written response.
The GMAT is a computer-based test that adapts to the test-taker’s performance. The difficulty of questions presented is adjusted based on the individual’s responses, aiming to provide a more accurate assessment of their abilities. Its scores are reported separately for each of the four main sections, and they contribute to an overall score. In addition, scores are reported on a scale of 200 to 800 for the overall score in 10-point increments. The GMAT exam typically takes around 3.5 to 4 hours to complete, including a break. The GMAT is administered at test centers around the world, making it accessible to candidates in various countries.
How much does Target Test Prep cost?
- Monthly Flex Package: This package provides full access to all of Target Test Prep’s content on a month-to-month basis for $179 per month.
- 4-Month Package: Students can opt for a one-time purchase package with 4 months of access to Target Test Prep’s materials for a discounted price of $549.
- 6-Month Package: You can add another two months of access for just $50 more, for a total of $599.
Additionally, Target Test Prep offers a 5-day free trial for just $1, allowing prospective students to explore the course before committing to a specific package.
The cost of Target Test Prep’s courses is notably lower than many other GMAT prep providers, such as Kaplan and Princeton Review, making it an attractive option for budget-conscious learners who still want quality. The price is, however, somewhat higher compared to Magoosh, another quality provider of GMAT prep material.
It’s crucial to consider the cost of the course against the potential benefits. Target Test Prep may be an excellent choice for students who are self-motivated and capable of driving their own studies. The budget-friendly pricing aligns well with this audience, offering access to comprehensive GMAT preparation materials and resources at a fraction of the cost of other providers.
However, for those who prefer live instruction, structured classes, or additional supplemental resources like hardcopy books, Target Test Prep’s approach may not fully satisfy their needs. In such cases, investing in more comprehensive but pricier GMAT prep programs might be a better fit. Ultimately, the affordability of Target Test Prep’s courses, coupled with its focus on data-driven learning and performance analytics, makes it a compelling choice for students who are cost-conscious and self-directed in their GMAT preparation journey. It’s essential for students to align their preferences and learning styles with the course’s offerings to make an informed decision about their investment in GMAT prep.
What is included in Target Test Prep's GMAT package?
Let’s have a look at the Target Test Prep GMAT course and what resources it provides you with.
- Content Coverage: The GMAT Course is a comprehensive program that covers all major content areas of the GMAT exam, including Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Integrated Reasoning, and Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA). It is designed for students who want a thorough and in-depth preparation experience.
- Lesson Modules: The course is structured around 40 or more “chapters,” containing over 1,400 lessons. These lessons cover a wide range of GMAT topics and provide students with a detailed understanding of the material.
- Practice Questions: The GMAT Course includes a vast bank of over 4,000 realistic GMAT quant and verbal problems. These practice questions allow students to hone their skills and develop strategies for answering GMAT-style questions effectively.
- Video Lessons: The course offers over 1,400 instructor-led HD videos. These videos are designed to provide clear explanations, demonstrate problem-solving techniques, and offer additional insights into GMAT concepts.
- Analytics: The GMAT Course includes intelligent, actionable analytics that help students strategically focus their study efforts. Performance reports and progress-tracking tools enable students to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Personalized Study Plan: Students receive a personalized GMAT study plan based on their initial assessments. This plan adapts as students progress through the course, ensuring a tailored and effective study experience.
- Quant and Verbal Error Tracker: An error tracker is provided to help students identify and learn from their mistakes, improving their performance in both quant and verbal sections.
- Live Support: Target Test Prep offers live customer support through chat and email, providing assistance and answering questions as students prepare for the GMAT.
Note that you if this seems like more than you need, you can also pay for a GMAT Focus Course, designed for students who want to concentrate their preparation efforts on specific areas of the GMAT. It is a more targeted and streamlined course, ideal for those with limited time or those looking to strengthen specific skills.
Practical features of Target Test Prep's GMAT
Target Test Prep courses for GMAT preparation are designed to provide comprehensive coverage of the content and skills required to excel on the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). While the specific course offerings and features may vary, the components offered include:
- Live Online Classes: Engage in real-time, interactive classes with instructors and fellow students, fostering a collaborative learning environment.
- Comprehensive Lessons: Live video sessions enable you to observe the systematic resolution of practice questions on a digital whiteboard, providing a step-by-step learning experience.
- Personalized Study Plans: Receive tailored study plans that adapt based on your performance, helping you focus on your weaknesses and optimize your preparation.
- Practice Tests: Access a variety of practice tests that mimic the GMAT exam’s format and difficulty level, allowing you to gauge your readiness.
- Custom Question Banks: Create customized quizzes and question banks based on specific parameters, such as questions answered incorrectly or questions taking longer to solve.
- Detailed Analytics: Gain insights into your performance through extensive analytics, including error analysis, peer comparisons, pacing data, and more.
- Instructor-Led Videos: Access a library of over 1,400 instructor-led high-definition videos that break down complex GMAT concepts and provide expert guidance.
- Quant and Verbal Error Tracker: Keep track of your mistakes in both the quant and verbal sections to identify areas that need improvement.
- Live Customer Support: Reach out to the support team through chat and email for assistance and guidance during your GMAT preparation journey.
- Score Improvement Guarantee: Target Test Prep often provides a score improvement guarantee, promising a refund if a student’s score doesn’t increase by a specified number of points after completing the course (subject to specific terms and conditions).
Who are the instructors at Target Test Prep?
Target Test Prep instructors are GMAT experts who know the GMAT inside and out and understand what it takes to succeed on test day. They have assisted thousands of students from different levels and learning styles all over the world in achieving their GMAT goals and gaining admission to top business schools.
Does Target Test Prep offer score guarantees?
Target Test Prep offers score improvement guarantees to provide assurance to students regarding the effectiveness of their GMAT preparation program. These guarantees are designed to give students confidence that they will achieve a significant score increase after completing the Target Test Prep GMAT course.
While the specifics of the score improvement guarantees may vary and are subject to certain terms and conditions, a typical guarantee might promise a substantial score increase, such as 110 points or more on the GMAT. To qualify for these guarantees, students may need to meet specific requirements, such as completing a certain amount of course material and submitting an official GMAT score from their initial attempt within a specified timeframe.
It’s essential for students considering Target Test Prep to review the specific terms and conditions of the score improvement guarantee to understand the requirements and benefits associated with it fully. These guarantees underscore Target Test Prep’s commitment to helping students achieve their GMAT score goals.
How does Target Test Prep compare to competitors?
Target Test Prep competes with various other test prep companies in the GMAT preparation market. Here’s a look at how Target Test Prep compares to some of its competitors.
- Price Point: Target Test Prep is known for its affordability, offering GMAT preparation courses at a fraction of the cost of many competitors. This pricing strategy makes it an attractive option for budget-conscious students compared to more expensive alternatives like Kaplan or Manhattan Prep. On the other hand, it is considerably more expensive than Magoosh.
- Content Coverage: Target Test Prep provides comprehensive coverage of GMAT content areas, ensuring students receive a well-rounded preparation. Competitors like Manhattan Prep and Kaplan also offer extensive content coverage but may come at a higher price point.
- Test-Taking Strategies: Similar to other GMAT prep providers, Target Test Prep emphasizes test-taking strategies, helping students approach the GMAT with confidence. This focus on strategies aligns with industry standards.
- Practice Materials: Target Test Prep offers a substantial number of practice questions (over 4,000) to reinforce skills. Competitors like Magoosh and Princeton Review also provide ample practice materials, making them suitable alternatives.
- Video Lessons: Target Test Prep includes over 1,400 instructor-led HD videos, enhancing the learning experience. Other providers, like Magoosh, offer video lessons, but the depth and breadth may vary.
- Personalization: Target Test Prep offers personalized study plans based on initial assessments. Competitors such as Manhattan Prep also provide personalized study plans to cater to individual learning needs.
- Performance Analytics: Target Test Prep’s emphasis on performance analytics and progress tracking is a standout feature. While some competitors offer analytics, the depth and extent may differ.
- Live Support: Target Test Prep provides live customer support through chat and email, a feature valued by students. Competing providers may offer similar support options.
- Score Improvement Guarantee: Target Test Prep often offers score improvement guarantees, providing assurance to students about their program’s effectiveness. Some competitors also offer score improvement guarantees with varying terms and conditions.
- Additional Resources: Compared to some competitors like Magoosh, Target Test Prep offers fewer supplemental resources, such as flashcards or live office hours. However, this aligns with its budget-friendly pricing strategy.
What do students say about Target Test Prep?
Online reviews of Target Test Prep generally reflect positive views from users. Many users appreciate the well-structured and organized approach of Target Test Prep’s courses. The curriculum’s layout and progression, especially in the quant section, are often commended for building a strong foundation and ensuring comprehensive coverage of GMAT concepts. Furthermore, the quantitative (quant) section of Target Test Prep’s courses is highly regarded for its depth and comprehensiveness. Users find that the quant section effectively prepares them for the GMAT quant section, with challenging questions that help build confidence.
On the other hand, some users may have encountered challenges with certain aspects of the verbal section or explanations. Some users mentioned that verbal explanations could be clearer and more detailed, which suggests room for improvement in this area.
Overall, while there may be areas for enhancement, the consensus among users is that Target Test Prep offers a valuable and effective GMAT preparation resource, particularly in the quant section. The positive reviews and quality of customer support contribute to its positive reputation in the test prep community.
Review conclusion: Is Target Test Prep Worth it?
Upon conducting a comprehensive evaluation, I am confident that Target Test Prep is indeed a reasonable investment for your GMAT journey. With its affordable pricing structure, it is not only a budget-conscious choice, but also offers extensive content coverage, an emphasis on valuable test-taking strategies, a wealth of substantial practice materials, and robust performance analytics. The platform’s inclusion of over 1,400 instructor-led HD videos, personalized study plans, and a score improvement guarantee further solidify its position as a cost-effective and effective GMAT preparation solution. The GMAT course compares very favorably with other test prep providers in terms of scope and depth of material. However, recognizing that excelling in the GMAT requires more than just topic mastery, the course also provides students with a comprehensive set of methods geared to the exam’s specific challenges and subtleties.
Investing in Target Test Prep means gaining access to a comprehensive and budget-friendly option that can significantly enhance your GMAT preparation. Whether you’re aiming for a higher score or simply seeking a thorough content review, Target Test Prep provides the tools and resources necessary to help you achieve your GMAT score goals. Overall, it represents a sensible and worthwhile choice for those embarking on their GMAT journey, offering the potential for a strong return on investment in the form of improved GMAT performance and future academic and professional opportunities.